Latest NewsNational Issues

EndSARS: VP Osibanjo Apologizes To Nigerian Youths, Regrets FG Didn’t Act Fast

EndSARS: VP Osibanjo Apologizes To Youths, Says FG Should Have Acted Faster

Prof Yemi Osibanjo, the Vice-President of Nigeria on behalf of the federal government, apologized to Nigerian youths for its delay in responding to the agitation for the scrap of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS.

Osinbajo made this plea on Friday through his verified Twitter account, while addressing the angry protesting youths.

The VP, admitted that his administration has not really acted fast in addressing the cause of their agitation, adding that the government could have acted faster.

HEY!! CALM DOWN!! Do You Know You can Get All Our News Reports On WhatsApp? CLICK HERE to Check out!!

He therefore, apologise for the delay, promising that the government must now take the responsibility of protecting Nigerian youths.

“Dear Nigerians, I know that many of you are angry, and understandably so. We could’ve moved faster and for this we are sorry.

“I fully understand how many young people feel. Many feel that we have been too silent and have simply not done enough. These feelings of frustration are justified.

“There are far too many people who have been brutalized at the hands of the police and this is unacceptable. We must take responsibility for protecting young people, even sometimes from those who are paid to protect them.” He wrote.

He Further disclosed that the federal government had been following the #ENDSARS protest since its inception, adding that several meetings had been held in regards to the situation.

“Over the past week, we have been following the protests, and I have had a number of discussions with key people in the administration that you deserve to be informed about. Transparency, after all, is a key tenet of government.

“Several meetings have been held with: the @SPLawan @femigbaja, the Chief of Staff to @MuhammaduBuhari, Chairman of the @PoliceServiceC2, the IG of @PoliceNG (IGP), the Executive Secretary of @NHRCNigeria, and governors.

“We understand that you want to see action from us and I’m here to tell you that work is ongoing. I chaired a meeting of 36 state governors and the Minister of the FCT (NEC), where we resolved to set up judicial panels of inquiry so we can see justice served, and fast” he added.

He also felicitate with the family that must have lost their loved ones adding that the federal government is working with the state government establish a victim trust fund to support all victims.

“I am sending my deepest condolences to the families of Jimoh Isiaq, and all those who have lost their lives at the hands of wayward police officers. To those injured, I wish a full and speedy recovery.”

“We have proposed that each state government set up a Victims’ Support Fund, which @NigeriaGov will support. This is the least that we can do to compensate for the injustice suffered at the hands of errant officers,” Osinbajo said.

Tags

IssuesNG

IssuesNG is an online media outfit that publishes Nigerian Breaking News, Biafran News, Politics, Lifestyle, Crime and World News. Articles made on this site are not misleading they are all verified, non questionable and credible. TRUST IS WHAT WE TEND TO ACHIEVE.

Related Articles

Please Do Drop A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button
Close
Close